We've added the powerhouse vegetable Swiss chard to this savory, chicken broth based soup. Scallions, fresh ginger and soy sauce add classic Chinese flavor. The soup is finished by adding a thin stream of beaten egg whites in the final moments of cooking, creating beautiful, wispy strands that float in the soup.
Serves : 4
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 cup thinly sliced spinach or Swiss chard
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 cup Albu-man egg white
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
Bring broth, soy, and ginger to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in spinach and peas; cook 2 minutes. Slowly pour in cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until thickened.
Pour eggs into soup and slowly swirl to create egg ribbons.
Serve immediately sprinkled with green onion.